Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Ass, the Fox, and the Lion

A fox and ass are friends.  They swear to protect each other when they are in danger.  One, they go hunting.  And then a lion crosses their path.  The fox sees the lion first.  The fox points him out to the ass.  And then the fox says, "We must come to terms with the lion and get him to be friendly with us."  And then the fox walks boldly up to the lion.  The fox says, "Mr. Lion, you are so graceful.  Can I be your friend?  I can help you trap the ass."  The lion says, "All right Mr. Fox.  Let us be friends and I will not harm you."  And then the fox induces the ass to follow him to a deep pit, and then the fox makes the ass fall into the pit.  The poor ass cries out loudly, "Why do you do this to me?  We are friends, aren't we?"  And then the fox laughs and says, "Certainly we are friends, and I am friends with Mr. Lion too."  As soon as the lion sees the ass is trapped he springs upon the fox.  The fox is very frightened.  He asks the lion, Mr. Lion, you agreed to be friends with me, didn't you?  Why do you harm me then?"  The lion answers, "You are friends with the ass, too, aren't you?  You will be my good meal."  Later, the lion eats the ass at his leisure.
   This story teaches us, "Those who betray their friends must not expect others to keep faith with them."

   -Alinsra

No comments:

Post a Comment